Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Who doesn't love pizza?


Pizza. It's one of my favorite foods. I like to experiment with different toppings, but it always has to have tons of cheese. I love cheese. And you just can't beat cold pizza for breakfast. I hadn't made pizza in a while, so the other day I decided it had been too long, so out came the ingredients. I also made my own sauce this time. My son hates pizza sauce, and even he told me it was good! Guess I'll be making my own from now on. It was really easy, so I can't complain. I used to use my bread maker to make the dough, but I use the Kitchen Aid mixer with the dough hook now. I suppose you could do it the old school way with your hands, but I am just too in love with my stand mixer. Hope you enjoy the pizza as much as we do!


Pizza Crust

1 pkg yeast
1/2 t brown sugar
1 1/2 c warm water
1 t salt
2 T olive oil
3 1/3 c flour
Garlic salt - to taste

Dissolve yeast and brown sugar in water and let sit for 10 minutes. Stir in the salt and olive oil. You can also add some garlic salt or any other Italian seasonings if you'd like. I usually add several shakes of garlic salt. It adds a nice flavor. Mix in 2 1/2 cups of the flour. Continue adding the remainder of the flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Place into an oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size. This takes 1-2 hours. Punch down dough and form into a tight ball. Let the dough chill out and relax a minute. Roll out and let crust rise 15 minutes before baking.


Pizza Sauce

1 6 oz can tomato paste
1 c chicken broth (you can use water)
1/4 c olive oil
1/2 T dried oregano
1/2 T dried basil
2 cloves minced garlic
1 t sugar

Mix all the ingredients together, and you've got your pizza sauce. I made mine when I started the dough and just stuck it in the fridge until I was ready to use it. It makes enough for 2-3 pizzas.

To make the pizza, preheat the oven to 425. Bake the crust for 5 minutes before adding the toppings. Spread the pizza sauce on and add any toppings you want. Bake for 15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly. I use a pizza stone. Which reminds me...I need to get another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment