Wednesday, October 21, 2009

When I want it, I make it...


I've been wanting chicken enchilada soup from Chili's. My husband didn't feel the need to take me there just to get a bowl of soup. "You know how to cook. Why don't you just make it yourself?" were his words. I informed him that it would involve a trip to the grocery store, hoping that would sway him, but that didn't seem to work. If you know my husband, he rolls his eyes every time I even mention needing to run to the H.E.B. to get "a few things". Off I went, list in hand, to the grocery store. What resulted was a soup that I loved. No more trips to a restaurant just to get soup. I can make it right at home, and I don't have to put on make-up or straighten my hair! Perfect, if you ask me. I threw all the ingredients into my crock pot this morning, and by late afternoon the house smelled fabulous. It was also super easy. Even a guy could make it.

Chicken Enchilada Soup

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn, drained
1 can diced tomatoes - use Ro-tel if you want some more spice
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 can enchilada sauce (10 oz), or 2 cups of the semi homemade, which follows
1 can cream of chicken soup
3/4 c milk
2 chicken breasts
2 t ground cumin

In a crock pot mix together the black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, and onion. In a medium sized bowl mix together the enchilada sauce, cream of chicken soup, and milk. I used enchilada sauce that I had made and frozen previously. Place chicken breasts on top of the mixture in the crock pot. Sprinkle cumin over the chicken. Pour the sauce over chicken and cook on low for 6-7 hours. Remove chicken, shred it, and add back to the soup, stirring to mix. Top with shredded cheese of your choice. You could also add chopped avocado or tortilla strips.

Enchilada sauce
This is the Pioneer Woman's version, I just changed it a little.
1 T vegetable oil
1 T flour
1 large can enchilada sauce
1 can chicken broth
dash of salt
dash of pepper

In a large saucepan, whisk together oil and flour to form a paste. Cook over medium for 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients, stirring well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. This freezes really well.

1 comment:

  1. This was awesome last night, and is possibly one of those things that is equal or maybe a tad better reheated the next day. Kinda like Carne Guisada is.

    ReplyDelete