Friday, October 23, 2009

Soup...

I love making soup. When it starts getting cool outside I immediately dig out my stack of soup recipes and start planning. Today was a soup kind of day. Several years ago when I first told my husband about this soup he was skeptical. There was no meat in it. So, at his suggestion, I added some chicken. Score! Ever since then I don't make it without chicken. Of course, being the bread lover that I am, I had to have bread with my soup. I could give up sweets before I would ever give up bread. I would never survive on a low carb diet! Dinner tonight was Santa Fe Squash soup and some crusty French bread. Yum!



Santa Fe Squash Soup

1 T olive oil
1/4 c chopped onion
1 can chicken broth
1 c milk
1 c sliced yellow squash
1 c sliced zucchini
1 c frozen corn
1 4 oz can diced green chiles
1/2 c Monterrey Jack cheese
1-2 cooked and shredded chicken breasts

In a large saucepan heat the oil over medium heat and cook the onion until soft. Add chicken broth, squash. zucchini, corn, and chiles. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and cook until squash is tender. This takes about 15 minutes. Add milk, cheese, and chicken. Cook until heated through. I usually double this recipe. Top with more cheese and sliced avocado if you desire.




French Bread

1 1/4 c warm water
2 t sugar
1 t salt
3 1/2 c bread flour
1 package yeast
1 t olive oil
1 egg
1 T water

I used a bread machine today to mix this, but you can do it by hand, or use a stand mixer. Add the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast to the bread machine. Next, add the water and olive oil. Set the bread machine to the dough cycle. If mixing by hand, dissolve the yeast in the water. Stir in the olive oil. Add the remainder of the ingredients, mixing and kneading well. Form into a ball and let rise about an hour. Divide the dough into two equal parts. Form into two loaves. Place on a baking sheet that has been sprinkled with flour. Cover and let rise until doubled in size. Preheat oven to 375. Beat the egg and water together. Brush over the top of each loaf. With a sharp knife, cut three diagonal slits on the top of each loaf. Sprinkle with garlic salt. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Try not to eat the bread all in one sitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment