Thursday, October 22, 2009

Breakfast...it's what's for dinner...if the kids are lucky


Remember those times as a kid when you were lucky enough to get breakfast for dinner? You only thought you were getting a real treat. Now that I am the mom, my kids get breakfast for dinner when I forget to thaw something out. Or I am just feeling really lazy. Either way, my kids are always happy when I suggest pancakes. They are happy to eat them in the morning, but are really happy to eat them for dinner. Any time I suggest pancakes, they ask me if it is going to be pancakes out of a box or "my" pancakes. That is the deciding factor for them. That and if they get to have chocolate chips or sprinkles in them. They drive a hard bargain. I made these pancakes so many times this past summer when my daughter was going to soccer camp. We had another soccer player staying with us for most of the week, and every morning they would inhale an entire batch of pancakes leaving nothing but the crumbs and dirty dishes in the sink. So I say "Go for it!". Have some pancakes for dinner and pretend that you are a kid again.


Buttermilk Pancakes

1 c flour
1 t sugar
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1 c buttermilk
2 1/2 T milk
1 egg
1 1/2 T butter, melted and cooled

In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. I like to sift all mine together. In a separate bowl, mix together the buttermilk, egg, milk, and melted butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together until just blended. It should be somewhat lumpy. You can also add chocolate chips or colored sprinkles if you want. I like to add frozen blueberries to mine. Lightly oil a griddle and heat over medium heat. Pour 1/4 - 1/2 cup batter into pan and cook on both sides until lightly browned.


No comments:

Post a Comment