Thursday, August 20, 2009

Salsa

Salsa...it should be it's own food group. I won't buy the stuff they sell in the grocery store. Why buy it when I can make my own, and in my opinion, mine is so much better. I'm not cocky, that is just my opinion. So when any recipe calls for salsa, I'll just whip up a batch and use that. look in our fridge at any given time and you can usually find my salsa. It's super easy and cheap, too. You can also adjust it to your own taste. Just keep in mind that I really don't measure anything when it comes to making salsa. Make some today. You'll thank me later.

Ingredients:
1 large can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
1/2 - 3/4 onion, cut into chunks
1 - 2 cloves chopped garlic (I buy the minced garlic in a jar. I don't want my hands to scare away Edward the vampire.)
2 - 3 jalapenos, seeded and deveined
Cilantro, as much or as little as you like
Juice from 1 lime

Dump all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and give it a whirl. It's best served with Milagros tortilla chips. Store in the fridge.


Now, if you are going to have chips and salsa, you must also have guacamole. So I'll throw my recipe in for that as well.

Ingredients:
2-3 ripe avocados
Garlic salt
Salsa, made from scratch, of course
Juice from 1 lime

Peel the avocados and roughly chop them, saving one avocado pit. In a dish add the avocados, several spoonfuls of salsa, garlic salt to taste, and lime juice. Mash all together until it is a consistency you like. I like mine with very few chunks. Add more salsa and lime juice if needed. When storing in the fridge, drop the avocado pit in the guacamole. It will keep it from turning black.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the makings of a good party to me!!

    Yummmm!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the salsa recipe! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete