Friday, August 21, 2009

Bleu or Azul.....

I've got some chicken thawing right now. I'm not too sure what I'm going to make using it tonight, but I've got a few ideas. The kids have already asked for "Mom's chicken strips". They are spoiled. I have two kids who refuse to eat chicken strips out of a bag. The kids can wait a few days for chicken strips. I don't feel like being splattered by hot grease tonight. I am thinking "Chicken Cordon Azul", my Mexican take on Chicken Cordon Bleu.
I guess I should also do some baking today. My husband loves it when I decide to bake in the middle of the day. Especially when the temperature outside is a cool 102, and the oven makes the house feel nice and toasty. The kids will be thrilled, though. That just means that they get to eat cookie dough. I am one of those moms who lets her kids eat raw dough. I ate it growing up, and never got sick from it. Well, maybe a stomach ache from eating two thirds of the bowl. I still scoop out a spoonful of dough and eat it along with the kids.


Chicken Cordon Azul
Ingredients:
4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 Stick of butter, melted
1 Package taco seasoning
1 1/2 cups Plain bread crumbs
1 Can peeled, whole green chiles (you can also use the diced ones)
6 Slices Monterrey jack or pepper jack cheese

Preheat oven to 350.
Pound the chicken breasts until they are 1/4 in thick, or all your pent up anger has dissipated. Add about 1/3 package taco seasoning to the melted butter and stir. Mix the rest of the taco seasoning into the breadcrumbs. In the middle of each chicken breast place a green chile and a slice of cheese. Roll up the chicken then dip it into the butter. When coated, roll the chicken in the breadcrumbs until coated. Repeat with the remaining chicken breasts. Grease a 9x9 glass baking dish and arrange the chicken in the dish seam side down. You can sprinkle any leftover breadcrumbs over the chicken and also pour the rest of the butter in the dish. Bake for 40 minutes. Take out of oven and place half a slice of cheese on top of each piece of chicken and bake for 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.

Top with salsa (home made is the best!), sour cream, and guacamole. Serve with Spanish rice and black beans.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my. That sounds TASTY! I am going to have to try that one!

    So glad you started this bolg, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I saw that HEB already had fresh green chiles last weekend. I think thats what I am going to do next weekend, roast a load of green chiles!

    ReplyDelete