Saturday, August 22, 2009

Oh, Yum!

I rarely make the same dish twice in one week. That's just not how I roll. I happened to find a recipe for this stuff called "Tortilla Pie" on the internet this week. It looked good. It had cheese and tortillas in it, which are two of my favorite things. I figured, why not try it? If it didn't turn out I have a dog who will eat most rejects. As I usually do, I changed a few things around in the recipe. As soon as it came out of the oven the first night I made it, I was in love! I only made a 8x8 dish, and it was gone in no time flat. Well, I didn't get enough of it because my family had to eat as well. Two nights later, I made it again, this time doubling the recipe. This was enough to feed the boys next door and our friend, Matt #2, as the seven year old calls him. We also had some leftovers!!! Sorry I don't have a picture to post. I'll get better about that. I think I'll make this again soon.

Tortilla Pie

Ingredients:
1 T Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 Chopped onion (more if you like a lot of onion)
1 1/2 lb Ground turkey (you can use ground beef if you want, but you really can't tell the difference)
2 T Garlic powder
1 1/2 T Chili powder
1 T Ground cumin
1 t Paprika
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 Can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 Cups cooked rice (you can use either white or brown)
Flour tortillas
3 Cups grated cheese (Cheddar, Mexican blend, whatever you want, and as much as you want)
Salsa - it's best if you use the recipe I gave you in a previous blog
**optional - 1 Can corn, drained
1 Diced jalapeno if you want to add a little spice (Thanks, Bobby!)

Preheat oven to 350.
Heat olive oil in skillet. Cook onions until translucent. Add ground turkey and spices. Cook turkey until browned. Mix in black beans and rice. You can also add a can of corn and jalapenos if you'd like. In an 8x8 baking dish add about 1/4 cup salsa. Top with a layer of tortillas. Add a layer of cheese and top that with half of the ground turkey mixture. Add another layer of salsa, tortillas, cheese, and turkey mixture. Finish with another layer of tortillas and cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes until heated through. Serve with sour cream, chopped green onions, and guacamole. It's like a fiesta in your mouth!

10 comments:

  1. I am sooo gonna make this this week! I was looking for seomthing else ot do with the ground turkey! Sounds delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks like the perfect new turkey recipe i was looking for! and tortillas w/ cheese, even... ahhh HEAVEN! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sfabobby0324/8/09

    Yea, this recipe is insanely good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn, I can't WAIT to try this! I printed off the recipe when you posted it on twitter.

    I actually have plans in mind for modifying it into a breakfast thing by replacing the rice with scrambled eggs and the ground turkey with sausage! I think the boys at work will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM!!! I can't wait to try this!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet cilantro on top would be awesome! I'm making this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous26/8/09

    For the record, The Hungry Husband voluntarily unloaded the dishwasher yesterday....and then put everything in the wrong places. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kayla26/8/09

    Made this last night except I used the corn and didn't add the rice (because I forgot about it!) but everyone loved it and it might've been even better today=)

    ReplyDelete
  9. glad you liked the recipe! and it is so easy to modify to use just about anything for the filling. thanks for the comment on tastykitchen too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Patti...your recipe has quickly become one of the biggest hits around our little circle of friends. I'm Jenn's husband and everytme I see her get ground turkey at the store, I know what's coming! She tweaked it a hair to household tastes. But I agree, the possibilities are limitless with this dish!

    ReplyDelete