Monday, August 29, 2011

King Ranch Chicken

I think everyone has made this dish at one time or another...or at least eaten it. I don't know how many different versions there are, but I am pretty sure it's somewhere around eleventy billion, give or take a few. I've been making this for quite a while now, and have played around with different recipes, and this is the one I came up with. It's not too soupy, not too thick. I think it turns out just right. It's definitely a crowd pleaser. King Ranch Chicken is also really easy to make. Now, some people use cream of mushroom soup in theirs, I don't. I don't care for it in mine, and I also happen to have a husband who is allergic to mushrooms. Some people use flour tortillas, I use corn. That's just my preference. Play with the recipe and make it your own!

Ingredients:
4-5 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
2 cans cream of chicken soup (you can substitute one can for cream of mushroom if you want)
1 can Ro-tel (you decide how hot you want it)
2 cups (or more - I use more) grated cheddar cheese
Corn tortillas (or flour, your preference)
chopped onion (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x9 baking dish. I suppose you could use a 9x13, but I always use my 9x9 dish because it's the perfect size. Mix together the cream of chicken soup and Ro-tel. You can throw in a can of diced green chiles if you want. Now is also the time to toss in some chopped onion if you happen to like onion. Place a layer of tortillas on the bottom of your baking dish. Next, add a layer of chicken, then top with half of the soup mixture. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the soup mixture. Repeat, ending with a layer of cheese. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, until heated through. Top with a dollop of sour cream and some chopped olives if you so desire. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment