Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Queso...enough said


I love queso. Who doesn't love that ooey goodness that is melted Velveeta cheese with Ro-tel dumped in it? I, however, have a version that kicks it up a notch. This recipe came from an uncle, but like every other recipe that lands in my hands, I tweaked it a bit. This past June, my husband and I spent a weekend at the Frio river with a group of our friends. I took my salsa and this queso. When the queso was heated up I saw grown women swat away the hands of any man who even glanced at the bowl of goodness that is queso. I might have been one of those women. I will never make queso using only Velveeta and Ro-tel again.


Roasted Tomato Queso


Ingredients:
5-6 Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 16 oz block of Velveeta cheese
Minced garlic (as much or as little as you like)
Chopped red, yellow, and green bell peppers (again, as much or as little as you like)
Liquid smoke
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper

Place the sliced tomatoes on a baking sheet, not overlapping. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. I also like to use a little garlic salt. Broil in the oven until they start to shrivel, but don't let them burn. You can also roast them on a BBQ pit, which I do sometimes. Melt the Velveeta in a saucepan, thinning with milk if necessary. In a food processor or blender add the melted Velveeta, tomatoes, peppers, minced garlic, and 3-5 drops of liquid smoke. Give it a whirl until nicely blended. There you have it!


Serve with tortilla chips, top fajitas with it, eat it out of a bowl with a spoon. Just enjoy it. I know my husband does!

No comments:

Post a Comment