Monday, September 7, 2009

For my husband...


My husband asks me to make calzones all the time. He thinks I should make them on a daily basis, but I don't. There are too many other good things to make, but this happens to be one of his favorites. When we lived in San Antonio, there was a little pizza place right around the corner from us, and they delivered. I think it is a bad thing that they knew me by name as soon as they heard my voice on the phone. I decided that I should probably just learn to make my own calzones. I think I succeeded. The good thing is, you can stuff with them with whatever you like. This recipe makes two really big ones, but you can also make four smaller ones if the kids are picky (like mine). When making the dough I have been using my Kitchen aid stand mixer, but you can also use a bread machine and just set it to the dough cycle.


Calzones - Jenn's version

Dough:
1 Package yeast
1 C warm water
1 T olive oil
1 t sugar
1 t salt
2 1/2 C flour

Dissolve the yeast and sugar in water and let sit for ten minutes, or until slightly foamy. Stir in olive oil, salt, and 1 cup of flour. Knead in the rest of the flour, or let your stand mixer do the job for you. Knead until no longer sticky. You may need to add a little extra flour. Place in oiled bowl and cover. let rise until doubled in size (usually about 1 1/2 hours). Divide dough in half, or into fourths, and roll out. Place toppings on half of the dough and fold over, sealing the edges. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. I use a pizza stone, and if you don't have one, I highly recommend getting one.

Toppings:
Use whatever you like. I always use sauce and about 1/3 cup of Ricotta cheese along with a ton of mozzarella. Spinach, Canadian bacon, and mushrooms is really yummy. My husband likes Italian sausage, Canadian bacon, and green olives. Let your imagination go wild. Just enjoy it!

3 comments:

  1. thanks for adding the pictures! so how long would it take to make this recipe? Sounds great but I am a little intimidated, the dough scares me! LOL
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9/9/09

    thanks for adding the pictures!!! so how long 'should' it take to make your calzones?
    -Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this tonight because it was different and I'm scared of making dough (it never turns out right). I did have to make the dough three times but third time was a charm. One recommendation i do have is that after you roll out the dough, its easier to fill it on the pan/stone you are going to cook it on. Took me filling two to figure this out.

    I'm also going to try this dough as a pizza crust, I think it would be great!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete