Sunday, September 27, 2009

Biscuits, oh how I love thee...

I love biscuits. Especially the ones of the buttermilk variety. And they have to be made from scratch. Whenever I make these, they disappear almost as fast as they come out of the oven. I made some yesterday morning and the kids ate them so fast my head was spinning. Recon, the dog, even had two of them. That was probably courtesy of the seven year old.


Buttermilk Biscuits

3 c flour
2 Tbs sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c Crisco (I like the Crisco sticks, so much easier to measure)
2 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 c buttermilk
melted butter


Combine the flour, salt, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder. Cut in the Crisco until it looks like cornmeal. Add the buttermilk, stirring until mixed. I use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer for this part. Make sure you use the dough hook. Knead 2-3 times. Roll out to 1/2 inch thick and cut out. This makes about 14 biscuits. Now, this is the really important part. Using your thumb, make an indention on top of each biscuit and brush with the melted butter. Bake at 450 for 14-16 minutes. I usually brush the tops with more melted butter as soon as they come out of the oven. Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment