Monday, December 5, 2011

Tortilla soup...yum!

I've been busy in the kitchen lately. The weather has turned cold, and my husband should be home soon. Now I know that I am not going to want to spend he my time in the kitchen cooking when he returns, so I decided to make a few things and freeze so all I will have to do is pull something out of the freezer, thaw it out, heat it up, and dinner is served. One of my husband's favorites is tortilla soup. It just so happens to be one of mine also. This is the best recipe and I prefer it over the tortilla soup in most restaurants. I usually end up doubling or tripling the recipe when I make it, and I have never had one of my husband's battle buddies turn down a bowl of this soup. In fact they go back for seconds and thirds. Make this soup. Go ahead and double this recipe. Trust me on this. It also freezes well.

Chicken Tortilla Soup


Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1/2 small onion, chopped (you can add more or less, depending on how much you like onion)
1 4 ounce can diced green chiles
2 T vegetable oil
2 cloves minced garlic
14 ounce can stewed Italian tomatoes
2 cans chicken broth
1 cup beef bouillon
2 tsp Worcestershire
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
cilantro to taste (I don't always use it, but if you are a lover of cilantro, use however much you like)
Juice of half a lime

Saute the onion, garlic and green chiles in the oil until soft. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, bouillon, spices, and chicken. Simmer for an hour. Add the lime juice, salt and pepper to taste, and cilantro.

Top with grated cheese, avocado, and corn tortilla strips. Delicious.

1 comment:

  1. making my grocery list now :) Thanks for posting! Can't wait to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete